~~~~~~~~~~~~ Don't Forget To Like Us On Facebook, Follow Us On Twitter, And Vote For Us ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday 6 May 2011

Gavin wants Amir Khan clash




Frankie Gavin has promised he will be challenging for the WBO Intercontinental welterweight title on May 21 as he eyes a clash with Amir Khan.

Gavin faces Young Mutley at the 02 Arena as part of Frank Warren's bumper "This Is It" card headlined by Nathan Cleverly and James DeGale.

And he believes a solid performance could put him in line for a crack at current WBA light-welterweight champion and former amateur team-mate Khan.

Unbeaten Gavin - who is 9-0 with eight stoppage wins - has gone from strength-to-strength since turning pro two years ago.

Last time out he impressed when stopping former Prizefighter champion Michael Lomax in the seventh round.

But Gavin is promising an even better display against Mutley next month as he looks to gate-crash the world rankings, and insists his fight is very much on, despite Matchroom stating that Kell Brook was fighting for it.

"Fighting for a big title at the O2 in front of 20,000 people is going to make me perform to an even higher standard," said former world amateur champion Gavin.

"Believe me, Young Mutley is in for a hard night's work."

Gavin's fellow Olympic teammate, James DeGale, won the British title last December in Liverpool, and watching him ringside made him desperate to get a second strap round his waist having already lifted the Irish light-welterweight crown.

"Getting that WBO Intercontinental belt round my waist is all I can think of at the minute as it will gatecrash me into the top 10 world rankings," added Gavin.

"There is no way I will be leaving the O2 on May 21 without it."

And while Mutley is firmly on Gavin's mind, the confident 24-year-old believes he is already at European level - and with the help of trainer Anthony Farnell, says he will be ready to challenge for world honours by the end of the year.

"I was Britain's first world amateur champion and now I aim to become the quickest Brit to win a world title," he said.

"Khan is a tough fight but I know the way to beat him. Khan is fast, but so am I, and I am the better boxer"

"I want him by the end of the year."

Property Of http://www.espnstar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment